Driving Range Uses Advanced Technology to Help Golfers
The traditional driving range is is a place where golfers go to practice and make adjustments to their swing. However, Topgolf, a chain of golf entertainment facilities, quickly demonstrates how new technology is changing the experience for golfers.
Topgolf has opened a few facilities in the South and Midwest, but now the company wants to expand into other areas of the country because of its huge success.
How it Works
The driving range offers many individual “bays” on several floors. The bays include a hitting area, a seating area, a TV and there is even a bar and restaurant in the facility. The TV monitors player and game statistics.
Things to Know Before Going to Topgolf
- Swipe your Topgolf card near the monitor in your bay and select a game – there are various options for all levels of golfers. The card connects to their built in system, which as mentioned above, tracks player information.
- When you finish the setup process, the screen displays your player information, including your name, the length of time you have left at the bay and an empty scoreboard that’s waiting to be filled.
- The ball dispensers are equipped with RFID readers that can tell when you wave a club over the sensor. The ball also contains an RFID chip that tells the Topgolf system that it’s you who’s about to hit.
- You will take turns with other players — you will be able to hit a certain number of times before switching off
- There’s also the option to do a challenge to heighten the challenge and competition. An example of a message says, “Is that as far as you can hit it?” I don’t know about you, but that would definitely fuel me up and get me into my zone.
Topgolf is ready to advance the game of golf and give users a whole new experience when it comes to practicing at the range. The company also plans to open four new locations this month and as many as 12 locations within 2018.